SIXTH GRADE ESSENTIAL LEARNINGS
1. Reflect science as it is practiced and experienced in the real world.
2. Build logically from K-12.
3. Focus on deeper understanding as well as application of content.
4. Integrate practices, crosscutting concepts, and core ideas.
5. Make explicit connections to literacy and math.
Science and Engineering Practices
Students are expected to demonstrate grade-appropriate proficiency in
*Analyzing and Interpreting data
*Developing and using models
*Constructing explanations and designing solutions
*Engaging in argument from evidence
*Obtaining, evaluating, and communicating information
*Using mathematics and computational thinking
*Planning and carrying out investigations
Students are expected to use these science and engineering practices to demonstrate understanding of the disciplinary core ideas.
Students are expected to demonstrate grade-appropriate understanding of
*Cause and effect
*Scale, proportion and quanity
*Structure and function
*Systems and system models
*The influence of engineering, technology, and science on society and the natural world as organizing concepts for the disciplinary core ideas.
Disciplinary Core Ideas
*LS1-Molecules to Organisms: Structure and Processes
*LS3-Heredity: Inheritance and Variation of traits
*ESS3-Earth and Human Activity
*ETS1-Engineering Design in a 6-8 developmental learning procession